This magazine recipe caught my eye because it was from Mario Batali. I’d never roasted sausage in the oven before, but i’m now sold on this method of preparing it.
12 oz. dried lentils
2 cloves garlic, peeled
6 fresh sage leaves or 2 tbsps. dried
2 medium carrots, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
12 oz. sweet Italian sausage
1/4 c. plus 1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
10 oz bag of spinach
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F
- . In a medium saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt, then the lentils, garlic and sage, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the carrots and simmer until the lentils are just tender 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, place the sausages on a rimmed baking sheet. Prick them with a knife or fork, then toss with 1 teaspoon oil. Roast, shaking the pan once, until just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest a couple of minutes before slicing.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup oil and the red wine vinegar.
- Discard the garlic and sage leaves from the lentils. Drain the lentils and carrots, and toss with the vinaigrette. Fold in the spinach and then the sausage.