Made this wonderful recipe when I was doing Whole30 (minus the toast) and have added it to the “normal” line up at house.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise, then sliced crosswise
- 1 orange bell pepper, quartered lengthwise, then sliced crosswise
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes
- 8 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- 4 slices toasted bread
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and cook, covered, for 4 minutes. Add the peppers, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add to the skillet along with their juices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the mixture has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Make 8 small wells in the sauce and carefully crack an egg into each one. Cover and gently simmer for 6 minutes. Uncover and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to desired doneness, 6 to 7 minutes for slightly runny yolks. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired, and serve with toast.